- Sponsored By: Frigo® (Saputo Cheese)
- Featured Product: Frigo® Mozzarella Cheese, Frigo® Parmesan Cheese, Frigo® Romano Cheese
This zesty dish is full of wonderful flavors.
- 1 1/4 lbs. mild or spicy Italian sausage
- 1 large onion
- 1 16-oz. package hot roll mix
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 4 cups (16-oz.) shredded Frigo® Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (2-oz.) finely shredded Frigo® Romano cheese
- 1 cup pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- 3 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1/4 cup (1-oz.) finely shredded Frigo® Parmesan cheese
In a large skilled, crumble sausage and cook with the onion until browned. Drain well; set aside.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Make hot roll mix according to package directions for pizza, replacing egg and butter with hot water and olive oil. Let dough stand 5 minutes. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into an oval about 5” x 7”.
In a medium bowl, toss together Frigo® Mozzarella and Frigo® Romano cheeses. Sprinkle 1/3 cup cheese mixture in center of each oval. Top each with 1/3 cup cooked sausage, 2 tablespoons sauce, and another 1/3 cup cheese mixture. Bring up edges of dough to form a football shape and seal securely. Place calzone, seam side up, on lightly oiled baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
Bake calzones until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, brush lightly with butter and sprinkle each with 1/2 tablespoon Frigo® Parmesan cheese. Return to oven until cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.