Fried eggs and pasta are delicious together. The soft-cooked yolks form a sauce that coats the pasta, while the tender whites, torn into shreds, mix with the caramelized onions and crushed red pepper flakes.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, halved and cut into thin slices (about 2 cups)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 2 cups small broccoli florets (optional)
- 4 large NestFresh Eggs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese or Pecerino-Romano cheese, plus extra for serving
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, red pepper flakes, salt to taste and a grinding of pepper. Set aside.
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 10 to 12 minutes. If using the broccoli, add it during the last 4 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, reheat the onions in the skillet over medium-low heat. Break the eggs on top of the onions, spacing them evenly, and cook until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Drain the spaghetti and broccoli, if using, and immediately return to the cooking pot.
- Add the egg and onion mixture and the cheese and stir thoroughly until the yolks coat the spaghetti and the whites break up into pieces.
- Serve at once, with additional cheese on the side.