This pasta bake is irresistibly delicious.
- 8-oz. tri-colored rotini pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups cut asparagus spears or small sugar snap peas
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1-1/2 cup 2 percent or whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1-3/4 cup (7-oz.) Sargento® Chef Blends™ Shredded 6 Cheese Italian, divided
- 1 pkg. (9-oz.) sliced fully cooked chicken sausage or 2 cups diced cooked ham
- paprika (optional)
Cook pasta according to package directions, adding asparagus during last 2 minutes of pasta cooking time.
Melt butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook, stirring frequently until flour mixture is bubbly and golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add milk and salt; bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Simmer uncovered 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup of Sargento® Chef Blends™ Shredded 6 Cheese Italian until melted.
Drain pasta and asparagus; return to same pot and add sausage and cheese sauce. Toss well and trnasfer to a greased shallow baking dish; top with remaining cheese. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired. (At this point, casserole may stand at room temperature up to 1 hour before baking.) Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.