What could possibly be better than a cheeseburger? A mushroom-smothered cheeseburger!
- 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
- 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 cups sliced button, baby Portobello or exotic mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices Sargento® Deli Style Sliced Medium Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Kaiser, onion or poppy seed rolls, split, lightly toasted
Combine meat, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix thoroughly but lightly and form into 4 patties about 5 inches in diameter.
Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; cook 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, grill patties over medium-hot coals or broil 4 to 5 inches from heat 4 to 5 minutes per side or until meat is no longer pink in center. Place cheese over patties during the last minute of cooking to melt. Place patties on bottoms of rolls. Top with mushroom mixture and roll tops.