Authentic lasagna. Delightfully cheesy, exquisitely delicious.
- 1 recipe Classic Tomato Sauce (recipe below) or 1 jar (30-oz.) pasta sauce
- 1 lb. ground beef, cooked and drained
- 4 cups (30-oz.) Sargento® Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6-oz.) Sargento® Artisan Blends® Shredded Parmesan Cheese, divided
- 3 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 lb. lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 3 cups (12-oz.) Sargento® Traditional Cut Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 cans (28-oz. each) Italian tomatoes
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (6-oz.) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 minced fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano, crushed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
In medium bowl, combine tomato sauce and ground beef. In a seperate medium bowl, combine Ricotta cheese, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese and parsley.
Pour 3/4 cup tomato mixture in bottom of 13x9-inch pan. Layer one-third noodles, half the Ricotta mixture, one-third remaining tomato sauce and 1 cup of Mozzarella cheese in pan. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, tomato sauce and 1 cup Mozzarella and 3/4 cup Parmesan cheeses.
Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 50 minutes; uncover and bake for 15 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Classic Tomato Sauce:
Drain tomatoes, reserve juice. Finely chop tomatoes; set aside. In large saucepan, cook carrot and onion in olive oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add reserved juice, tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine, parsley, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.