- Sponsored By: Sargento® Foods, Inc.
Add some Italian flair to your mac and cheese with this simple recipe.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes or black pepper
- 2 cups (8-oz.) Sargento® Bistro® Blends Shredded Italian Pasta Cheese, divided
- 8-oz. multi-grain elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 cup Italian or sourdough fresh breadcrumbs*
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook and stir 1 minute. Add milk, salt and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in 1-1/2 cups cheese until melted. Stir in cooked macaroni; immediately transfer mixture to a greased or sprayed 8 or 9-inch baking dish.
Toss breadcrumbs with oil and remaining cheese; sprinkle over mac and cheese mixture. Bake in a preheated 375°F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown.
* For fresh breadcrumbs, process torn bread in a food processor.