Warm up with this easy-to-make cream of broccoli and cheddar soup!
- 1 lb. fresh broccoli (about 1 medium bunch)
- 1 can (14 1/2-oz.) reduced sodium or regular chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups (8-oz.) Sargento® Fine Cut Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
Chop broccoli florets; peel and thinly slice stems. Combine broccoli and broth in medium saucepan; heat to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 7 minutes or until tender.
Transfer (in thirds) to food processor or blender. Process until fairly smooth.
Melt butter in same saucepan; add flour. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until bubbly. Whisk in milk and pepper; heat to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium; add broccoli puree.
Stir in Sargento® Fine Cut Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese; heat just until cheese melts (do not boil), stirring constantly. Ladle into soup bowls.
Tip: For chunky borccoli and Cheddar soup, reserve 1 cup broccoli pieces; add to soup with puree.