This flavorful mac and cheese recipe is rich in color and comfort. Mmmmmm.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup Sargento® Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup (4-oz.) Sargento® Artisan Blends™ Shredded Swiss Cheese
- 1/2 cup (2-oz.) Sargento® Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 egg whites
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2-quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Prepare macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt. During last 5 minutes of cooking add onion, bell pepper and celery. Drain pasta and vegetables.
While macaroni is cooking, combine Ricotta, Swiss, Cheddar, milk, egg whites, flour, butter, salt, black pepper and pepper sauce in food processor or blender; process until smooth. Stir cheese mixture into pasta and vegetables.
Pour mixture into prepared casserole. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.