Chicken breasts stuffed with cheese and mushrooms are sure to please for lunch or dinner.
copyright 2003 Sargento Foods Inc.
- 3 Tbsp. butter or margarine, divided
- 1 1/2 cup (4-oz.) coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp. minced garlic or 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 cup (8-oz.) Sargento® Chef Blends™ Shredded 6 Cheese Italian
- 1/2 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
- 4 large boneness, skinless chicken breast halves, flattened to 1/4-in. thickness
- 1/3 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
Melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat in large skillet. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic; cook 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
Stir 1 cup Sargento® Chef Blends™ Shredded 6 Cheese Italian and lemon pepper into cooled mushroom mixture; spread 1/3 cup mixture onto each chicken breast. Fold chicken lengthwise in half; secure each with 2 wooden toothpicks. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and roll in crumbs. Place in lightly greased shallow baking dish or pie plate; drizzle with melted butter.
Bake in preheated 450 degree oven 20 minutes or until golden brown and chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 3 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Remove wooden picks before serving.