Try this cheddar panini with salami, tomato, and onion recipe for a meal that is tasty and cheesy.
- 1 small red onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 ciabatta rolls (4 large slices sourdough bread may be substituted.)
- 6 slices Sargento® Deli Style Sliced Medium Cheddar Cheese
- 4-oz. thinly sliced Genoa salami
- 4 thin slices large tomato
- Extra virgin olive oil (optional)
Cook onion with honey and vinegar in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat 20 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Preheat panini grill or heat gas grill to medium-low.
Slice off the domed tops of the ciabatta; reserve for another use. The rolls should now be about 1-inch thick. Split the rolls horizontally in half. Turn bottom halves up and top each with 2 slices of Sargento® Deli Style Sliced Medium Cheddar Cheese, onion jam, salami, tomato slices and remaining 4 slices cheese. Close sandwiches with top halves of ciabatta rolls. Brush lightly with olive oil, if desired.
4. Cook sandwiches in panini grill or on gas grill for 4 to 5 minutes, turning once until cheese is malted and bread is golden brown.