Try this recipe for a summer sandwich that'll hit the spot!
- 2 small zucchini or yellow summer squash or 1 of each
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red chile pepper flakes
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 ciabatta rolls (4 large slices multi-grain or whole wheat bread may be substituted.)
- 6 slices Sargento® Deli Style Sliced Baby Swiss Cheese
Preheat panini grill or heat gas grill to medium-low. Cut squash diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices. Toss with oil and chile flakes; season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Arrange in one layer in panini grill. Close press; cook 3 minutes or until squash is seared and tender. Or grill, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes.
Slice off the domed tops of the ciabatta rolls; save for another use. The rolls should now be 1-inch thick. Split the rolls horizontally. Turn bottom halves up and top with 2 slices Sargento® Deli Style Sliced Baby Swiss Cheese, the squash and remaining 4 slices of cheese. Close sandwiches with top halves of ciabatta rolls. Brush lightly with additional olive oil, if desired.
Cook sandwiches in panini grill or on gas grill for 4 to 5 minutes, turning once until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.