- 2 cups all-purpose flour (can substitute spelt flour)
- 3 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 4 Tbsp. sugar (can substitute sucanat)
- 6 Tbsp. Organic Valley® European-style Cultured Butter (cold)
- 3⁄4 cup Organic Valley® Half & Half
- 2 Organic Valley® Grade A Extra Large Brown Eggs
- 1⁄8 tsp. sea salt
- 4 fresh strawberries, stems removed and cut into quarters
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup Organic Valley® Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract (for the whipped cream)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter a baking sheet. Hard boil 2 Organic Valley® Omega-3 Eggs and allow to cool.
Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar (or sucanat) into a bowl. Add the Organic Valley® European-style Cultured Butter, using fingers to work it quickly into the flour until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add the Organic Valley® Half & Half and Omega-3 egg yolks; stir with a fork until the dough just holds together. Taste it!
Knead the dough on a floured surface until it's smooth, yet don't overwork the dough. Roll out the dough to approx. 1/2-inch thick. Using a floured 2 1/2- or 3-inch cookie cutter (or a floured glass), cut out 6 rounds. Gather the scraps, reroll; cut 2 more rounds.
Please note: This recipe is for an open face Strawberry Shortcake, if you prefer a 2 piece dessert roll out dough to 3/4 inch and create 6 rounds. Split open when cooled, and assemble.
Put the 8 rounds on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown and firm to the touch.
For the filling, mix berries and sugar in a bowl. Chill.
Cool the biscuits on a rack. Heap them with the chilled strawberries and whipped cream. Serve immediately with remaining whipped cream on the side. Garnish with fresh mint and Enjoy!