The best part of summer is enjoying a meal outside! Throw together this Russian vegetable salad with a homemade dressing for the occasion.
- 6 medium beets (larger than golf balls, smaller than hard balls)
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1/2 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large Organic Valley® eggs, hard-cooked and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely diced Organic Prairie Hardwood Smoked Ham (optional)
- 1/3 cup finely diced Organic Valley® Sliced Baby Swiss
- 2 medium-size garlic dill pickles, chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. Organic Valley® Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1/8 tsp. sugar
- 3/4 tsp. caraway seeds, pulverized with mortar and pestle or in coffee grinder
- 3 Tbsp. safflower oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dark rye bread, cut into small slices
- Organic Valley European Style Cultured Butter, softened
Steam beets, potatoes and carrots over boiling water in a covered pot until they are barely tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife (the potatoes and carrots will take about 10 minutes; the beets will take longer). Remove cover and let the vegetables cool down.
Meanwhile, make dressing by whisking cider vinegar, sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar, and caraway in large bowl. Whisk in safflower oil a little at a time. Season generously with salt and pepper.
When vegetables are cool, remove the peels from the beets and potatoes. Cut beets, potatoes, and carrots into 1/2-inch pieces. Add them to the dressing in the bowl with green onions, eggs, ham, cheese, pickles, and parsley. Gently fold ingredients together and season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill until ready to serve.
Mound the salad on a colorful platter. Butter the bread slices generously. Surround the salad with buttered bread.