Written with permission from Southern Living Cooking School
- 1 (3 lb. 1 oz.) package frozen Mrs. Smith's Deep Dish Apple Pie
- 1 qt. vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 (8 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (10 oz.) package Hershey's Butterscotch Chips
- 1/2 cup caramel topping
- 1 Tbsp. Land O Lakes Butter
- Toppings: 1 cup chopped pecans, chocolate shell sauce
Remove plastic overwrap from apple pie. Open center hole, and cut 4 to 6 slits in top crust. Place pie on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.
Bake at 375F for 1 hour and 20 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes, shielding top of pie with aluminum foil after 1 hour. Cool pie on a wire rack. Cut pie into chunks.
Stir together ice cream and whipped topping until blended. Fold in apple pie chunks. Spoon into a 2-quart glass bowl lined with heavy-duty plastic wrap. Cover and freeze 8 hours or until firm.
Cook butterscotch chips, caramel topping, and butter in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes smooth; cool mixture slightly.
Invert frozen bowl onto a serving plate, and remove plastic wrap. Spread butterscotch topping evenly over bombe; insert a 12-inch wooden dowel in center. Add desired toppings.