This recipe was tested and endorsed by Kellogg and Morningstar Farms®.
- 8 slices Morningstar Farms® Veggie Bacon Strips
- 8-oz. dried elbow macaroni
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. dry mustard
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half or milk
- 6-oz. American cheese, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
Cook Morningstar Farms® Veggie Bacon Strips according to package directions. Set two slices aside. Break remaining bacon strips into bite-size pieces. Set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Rinse with cold water. Drain well. Set aside.
In medium saucepan melt butter. Stir in flour, pepper and mustard. Stir in half-and-half. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in American and Cheddar cheeses until melted. Add macaroni and bacon pieces; mix well. Spoon into ungreased 8x8x2-inch baking dish.
In small bowl crumble reserved bacon strips. Stir in parsley, if desired. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Bake at 350°F about 20 minutes or until bubbling around edges. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.