©2009 Land O'Lakes, Inc.
- 2 Tbsp. LAND O LAKES® Butter
- 1 large (1 cup) leek, sliced*
- 2 medium (4 cups) sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-in. cubes**
- 2 (14-oz.) cans chicken broth
- 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves***
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 2 cups LAND O LAKES® Half & Half or Fat Free Half & Half
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt, if desired
- Pepper, if desired
Melt butter in 4-quart saucepan; add leek. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until leek is tender (7 to 10 minutes). Add sweet potatoes, chicken broth, garlic and thyme leaves; continue cooking until mixture comes to a boil and sweet potatoes are tender (9 to 11 minutes). Stir in chicken and paprika.
Combine half & half and flour in medium bowl until smooth. Gradually add half & half mixture to potato mixture in saucepan, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened (6 to 8 minutes). Add salt and pepper, if desired.
*Substitute 1 large (1 cup) onion, chopped.
**Substitute white potatoes or carrots.
***Substitute 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves.
Leeks are related to both garlic and onion, but their flavor is milder. To slice leeks; trim roots and leaf ends. Slit the leek, lengthwise from top to bottom, and wash thoroughly. Slice or chop as desired. Store refrigerated in resealable plastic food bag up to 5 days.
Cubed or diced cooked chicken is available in the freezer section of the supermarket.
Sweet potatoes are available in light and dark skins. The lighter skins have a pale yellow or white interior; those with darker orange skins have a bright orange interior. Either may be used in this recipe.