Borden® Crispy Cheddar Mashed Potato Puffs
- ¾ cup sour cream, divided
- 1 tsp. finely chopped chives or green onions, plus more for garnish
- 8 oz. Borden® Cheese Medium Cheddar Chunk, divided
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped, about 1 lb.
- 2 Tbsp. Borden® Butter
- ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp. seasoned salt
- ⅛ tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 15 bacon strips, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 cup beer batter dry mix
- Oil, as needed for frying
1. MIX ½ cup sour cream and chopped chives or onions together in a small bowl. Refrigerate.
1. PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Shred ½ of cheese to make about 1 cup of shreds. Divide shreds into 8 piles, about 2 inches apart, on a silicone baking mat or parchment paper-lined cookie sheet and bake about 5 minutes or until cheese melts and becomes crisp. Let cool 5 minutes and remove from baking sheet.
2. Reduce oven temperature to 180°F.
1. PLACE potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Heat over medium-high heat and boil potatoes until they are tender; drain. Beat the potatoes with the butter in an electric mixer bowl fitted with a paddle on medium-low speed until smooth, then add ¼ cup sour cream and all seasonings. Stir in the crumbled bacon.
2. CUT the remaining 4 oz. cheese into 8 ½-inch cubes. Form balls of mashed potato mixture using an ice cream scoop. Make a small hole in center of each potato ball and fill with one cube cheese. Cover with additional mashed potato so cheese is hidden inside. Refrigerate until ready to fry.
3. HEAT oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat to 375°F. Prepare beer batter according to package directions; dip each mashed potato ball into batter and deep-fry for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Reheat oil to 375°F between batches. Keep potato puffs warm in the holding oven.
4. PLACE potato puff on a plate; top with dollop of chive cream, a few chives and the cheddar crisp. Serve immediately.