- 4 Bays Multi-Grain English Muffins, split and halved, and cut into strips
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 thick cut slices hardwood smoked bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
Beat the eggs and 1/2 cup of the milk in a medium bowl until well blended. Stir in the muffin cubes, Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses; set aside.
Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer the bacon with a slotted spoon to a plate covered with paper towel; drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat and return skillet to the stove. Add the onion and sauté until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the mixed vegetables; sauté until hot, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the soup and remaining 1 cup milk; bring to a boil and cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the reserved bacon and chicken. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top the filling evenly with the muffin mixture.
Bake until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Note: if you’d prefer not to use bacon substitute 2 tablespoons of olive oil to sauté the onions.