These hearty muffins are protein packed to serve at breakfast or brunch!
- 4 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Butter
- 1 medium (1 cup) onion , chopped
- 1 medium (1 cup) red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium (1 cup) Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper , if desired
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 (6-ounce) box stuffing mix for pork
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 Land O Lakes® Egg, beaten
Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 12-cup muffin pan with no-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in 12-inch skillet until sizzling. Add onion and bell pepper; cook over medium-high heat 3-4 minutes or until crisply tender. Add sausage, apple, garlic and crushed red pepper, if desired. Continue cooking, breaking up sausage into small pieces, until sausage is no longer pink.
Add chicken broth; cook until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in stuffing mix; remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in cheese, parsley and sage. Cool 10 minutes; stir in beaten egg.
Microwave remaining 3 tablespoons butter in bowl 20-30 seconds or until melted. Spoon sausage mixture into prepared muffin pan cups, mounding slightly. Brush tops of muffins with melted butter.
Bake 25-30 minutes or until centers are set and tops are crisp. Cool 5 minutes in pan. Remove to serving plate. Serve immediately.