Courtesy of U.S. Fire Administration
• Position the grill well away from siding, deck railing, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
• Place the grill a safe distance from lawn games, play areas, and foot traffic.
• Keep children and pets away from the grill area: declare a three-foot “safe zone” around the grill.
• Put out several long-handled grilling tools to give the chef plenty of clearance from heat and flames when cooking.
• Periodically remove grease or fat buildup in trays below the grill so it cannot be ignited by a hot grill.